We don’t often consider our liver when we are feeling tired, irritable, headachey and run down but this mighty organ is often at the heart of these symptoms and many others.
In today’s world, we are exposed to more pollutants than ever before, through what we eat, drink, breathe and put on our skin.
Our exposure to some of these are beyond our control because they are in the air or used in manufacturing; other problematic substances like alcohol and trans fats in processed cakes, biscuits, muesli bars and deep fried foods, we choose to consume.
Our liver is the key organ responsible for helping our body to process and eliminate these substances, that if they were to accumulate, would be harmful to us. This everyday process is called detoxification: it is a transformation process, where the liver converts a toxin into a less harmful form so we can then eliminate it. If our liver is overwhelmed and the mechanisms of detoxification and elimination are compromised, every process inside of us that creates health and energy, as well as those processes that help to prevent disease, will be affected.
We like to call the most common of these harmful substances and pollutants “liver-loaders”. They include:
- Trans fats
- Refined sugars
- Synthetic substances, such as pesticides and those found in what we put on our skin
The liver also has to deal with substances the body makes itself such as:
In addition, to all of this work, the liver is also required to process the aftermath of infections such as glandular fever.
There are a number of signs that can indicate your liver is feeling overwhelmed and struggling to process the liver-loaders in your body. They include:
- PMS, sore breasts, period pain, skin breakouts and other symptoms around menstruation
- Feeling tired and sluggish
- Poor sleep – after an evening during which you consumed alcohol or regularly waking up around 2am
- A short fuse or bad temper that is out of character for you
- Waking up hot during the night
- A preference for coffee, not food, to start your day and not being hungry for breakfast when you first get up in the morning
- Bloating easily and other digestive upsets
- Skin rashes or general skin congestion
- “Floaters” in your vision
- Elevated cholesterol
- A roll of fat just under the bra line for women or just below the sternum for men
If there was one organ in your body to ensure is functioning optimally, it’s your liver. An unhappy liver can have a significant impact on how we look and feel and it has a flow on effect to all of your other body systems and disease prevention.
We’ve designed Liver Love to give your liver the additional support it needs to process the higher levels of liver loaders it is exposed to in modern society. It is most effective when we also cut down on our exposure to liver-loaders to give our body some space to process what’s already built up. Made entirely from plants – vegetables and herbs – Liver Love gives your body the support and nourishment it needs in forms it recognises and utilises with ease.